Easy Torta Caprese Recipe (Chocolate Almond Flourless Cake)
Capri, where this cake originated, is famous for it’s Limoncello and that’s probably why it was used initially.
However, I cannot imagine the cake made without it. It’s delicious, very easy and very quick to make during the Easter break.
You’ll notice it contains no flour and consists entirely of roughly chopped chocolate and nuts with only the eggs to hold it all together – take care, it could be crumbly when it’s hot so take care with it.
It’s probably a very good idea to allow the cake to rest somewhere cool until it reaches room temperature before you serve it – it tastes far better then, anyway.
Without further ado, here’s the delicious recipe.
Torta Caprese Recipe (Chocolate Almond Flourless Cake)
This Italian cake is an absolute winner, easy to make and delicious!
- 400 g blanched almonds (lighly roasted and roughly chopped)
- 250 g dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 250 g sugar
- 250 g butter
- 6 large eggs (separated)
- 60 ml Limoncello
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Melt the butter in an bain marie or in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and the limoncello until they are light and creamy and mix into the butter.
- Whisk the egg whites and fold into the egg and butter mixture.
- Sprinkle in the almonds and the chocolate and fold gently through the mixture.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about an hour until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and then dust with icing sugar.
Other Neapolitan dessert recipes: