Italian Cheese Bread Recipe | Crescia al Formaggio | Pizza di Pasqua
Umbrians love to eat this pizza at the Pasquetta picnic and when generously sprinkled with shaved black truffles, it’s fit for angels. Pasquetta, the day after Easter, is a really special Italian tradition and the majority of Italians can be found in the countryside enjoying a picnic. Italian picnics are nothing at all like ordinary picnics – they are banquets – feasts that take hours with, often, a little nap in between.
Italian Cheese Bread Recipe | Crescia | Pizza di Pasqua
This delicious recipe is made during Easter time and it is eaten with cold cuts, cheese or even for breakfast as a toast. Try it, you won’t be disappointed!
- 3 eggs
- 2 yolks
- A little lard
- 150 g unbleached all purpose flour
- 250 g bread dough ( make this from scratch recipe below or buy bread dough from the local baker)
- 180 g Parmigiano (freshly grated )
- 120 ml extra virgin Umbrian olive oil
- 100 g Pecorino cheese (fresh, finely diced – don’t get one that’s too piquant)
- 100 g Parmigiano (fresh, finely diced)
- Break the eggs and the egg yolks into a bowl, salt lightly and stir in all the grated and diced cheese as well as the olive oil.
- Allow this mixture rest for at least four hours.
- Flour your work surface, spread the bread dough out over it, and work the remaining flour into it.
- Shape the dough into a mound, scoop a well into it and put the cheese mixture into the well, incorporating it well.
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover it and place in a warm place to rise for at least two hours.
- Once it has risen, grease a high-sided round mold with the lard and put the dough into it.
- Cover the pan and let the dough rise another hour.
Towards the end of the hour preheat your oven to 350 F
- Bake it for about 30 minutes and use a toothpick to test whether it comes out cleanly – if it doesn’t come out dry keep it there for another 10 or so minutes.
- Allow it to cool and turn out on a rack. Then slice it with a kitchen knife and serve it with cold cuts and cheeses.
Other Italian Easter recipes: